New Photo Archeive

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Nob Sorath – ACE Scholarship Resident



Hello everybody!

My name is Sorath. I was born Samroung Tung Distich, Kompong Speu province. I grew up in a poor family in Kompong Speu. I’ve one sister one youngest brother, I’m an oldest brother in my family. My father is a farmer and mother is also a farmer. They work very hard in the farm, including rainy and dry season to be able to support the family. However they don’t earn much from their farming work.
Currently I’m studying at the Western University, majoring in English Literature as a student that study under the loaning system from school and I am required to repay the university once I’ve completed my degree in four year. I am very lucky to obtain the loan as there is a limited number of students can have the loan.
While I was studying at high school it was the very difficult experiences. My home so far from school it about 12-15km. I always went to school with my old bicycle often it had problem. At that time I had not breakfast and sometimes lunch I woke up at 5am to ride the bicycle to school. All villagers in my village rarely have someone reach to study until graduated grade 12. All of them if the girls go to work at the garment factory and the boys go to work as worker in the city and the rest would become the farmers. People in village not encouraged me to study they said to me that “You try everyday but you still do the farmer because you live in countryside..give up your studies..there is no point to study..” except my family they always persuade, encourage me all the time. Sometimes I had no money but I had a chance to teach at student’s house and some Private school in Kompong Speu province by these ways that help me to support me. As the result I passed my examination at high school successfully. After the good thing unfortunately I couldn’t carry on my learning at university in the city for one year as my family was in financial difficulties. I was really upset and stressing out. Then one year later I saved abit of money to come and study at university in the city in 2011! I was really excited and cannot find any words to express my feeling at that time! But one thing that I knew was that I had the opportunity to walk toward my dream! And I wanted to make that dream come true!
When I came to continue my dream in the city the big problem is that I had not enough money for: accommodation, water, electricity and especially daily foods so I was in a difficult situation because I’ve no any relative whom to depend on and who are living in the city. Fortunately, I met my old friend, Mr. Vicheka and then I asked him for staying short time at his place, he agreed with me moreover he recommended me to apply for scholarship at ACE. Incredibly I got the scholarship at there, I’m very happy! I can get accommodation, friendship with others students that living here, improve my knowledge, have a chance get leadership and a lot of more skills. I’m very excited with living in ACE!
In fact, I have two dreams in my way. First one is want to be an English teacher, that full qualify education in order to develop my own self, community and society. The second one I want to be a business man. Because now I’m working in the coffee shop is the international one. So I try to work hard and leaning as much as I can. I hope that one time if I have the ability I’ll run it.
Finally, I would like to thanks all the students at ACE who have welcomed me and have made me feel like home since I’ve arrived in ACE. I also wish to thank all the generous people in the world for supporting Cambodian students in Cambodia, to have a place to stay and study in the city so that we can have enough education and continue our dreams in helping other underprivileged people in Cambodia! I wish that ACE will be successful and will save more poor people like me!

Nob Sorath!

No comments: