New Photo Archeive

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dear Everyone,



I’m Mien, 23 years old. I was born in a small village of Travkiet, Danron Commune, Soutnikum District, Siem Reap Province. There are eight members in my family, myself, one brother, four sisters and my parents. Every member of my family are farmers. We work very hard in the rice field everyday from sunrise to dawn with our hands without a proper machine to earn money to support the family. I always dream of continuing my study at one of the universities in the city, Phnom Penh. However with the little money we earn from the hardworking in the rice field every day is impossible for me to achieve my dream.

I decided to leave my village after I’ve completed my high school to find a job in Phnom Pen and also to look for an opportunity to continue my study at the university. Initially it was very difficult for me as I don’t have any relatives or friends living in Phnom Pen. I stayed alone in the rented tiny room without proper bed to sleep, study desk, kitchen and restroom. However life goes on regardless of what. I started to apply for a job but I could not find due my low educational background, lack of experience, couldn’t speak English and especially because I have a hunchback. I felt very miserable as I was unemployed and my budget was getting less, I was hopeless and helpless.

One day I decided to go to the temple and ask for a place to stay as I was running out of money and couldn’t rent a room. However they didn’t trust me because I didn’t know anyone there, so I wasn’t allowed to stay in the temple. I then went to ask the Orphanage Center which was located in a slum community. I was very happy to be accepted to stay there. I found it totally new experience for me to stay in the orphanage with many other kids. At meal times everyone rang the bell and lined up to receive the meals. Sometimes when I got back from school I had to go to bed with an empty stomach as there was no foods left for me. One month later I started to study English at AZIZA School which was located next to the Orphanage Center. AZIZA is supported by Village Earth NGO which provides free English class, leadership, and other essential training skills. I was a very committed student because I wanted to learn how to speak, read and write English well like other kids in the center. I went to AZIZA and studied every day.

I then applied for a dormitory scholarship at Attitude Center of Education (ACE) which is an organization providing a free housing for the disadvantaged students from the country side to stay, receiving various free basic life training skills, internet, computer, library. I feel very comfortable living at ACE as all the students here are friendly, easy going and open. We all come from different provinces across Cambodia, we go to different universities, are committed students. I feel motivated to study harder and feel very pleased to be treated equally like other students. Nobody here care about the way I look or my hunchback.

Now I am a freshman and studying at Pannasastra University of Cambodia. My major is in Community Development. What makes me more excited is that I have also obtained a part time job as a data entry officer at Digital Divide Data Organization. The money that I received from my job is not much though it helps me a lot with my daily expenses. It means so much to me.

Thank you very much for spending your value time in reading my background. Your consideration and generosity will make a big change to my life. I will be able to finish my degree and using my knowledge to transform other adults and kids in my village and to develop my village into a better place. I have a strong desire to help others because I totally understand exactly how it feels like when you have nothing as I was there at one point in my life. I remembered everything and I want to be there for those who are in need just like the way I am helped by others! I would like to say thank you very much for helping me and other Cambodians. It really means so much for us! Wishing you and family luck, successful and prosperity in your life! I wish one day you will visit Cambodia and all of the students in ACE again. Thanks!!

Best wishes
Mien

1 comment:

Synoeun Info said...

Thank you so much ACE for everything you have been providing me and my friends like, a place to stay, learn and develop, job opportunity, make friends and happy. Especially, thank to teacher Sokchea and sister Sophea who are working hard and be role model for all of us and have a strong expectation to see our bright future.

Best of all,

Synoeun